In this professional training, based on 22 years of concert and teaching experience of the teacher, you are trained to be mantra singer. At the end of the course you are able to sing mantras with groups of people and accompany yourself on Indian harmonium.
More and more people are discovering that mantra singing in many ways is beneficial for the physical, emotional and mental health. The sound vibrations have a beneficial effect on your physical and mental health. By singing and chanting, the energy centers in the body, the chakras, are opened. With stress removed deeper feelings can emerge from within.
Mantras represent powers and qualities in yourself that you can invoke, boost or diminish.
With mantras and mantrachanting you will be able:
• to learn to let go of things that don’t serve you anymore like old behavior and thinking patterns, material things and relationships;
• to experience more connectedness to yourself and other people
• to accept yourself, others and situations easier
• to take some distance from your thoughts, desires, fears, emotions and therefore release some heaviness inside of you
• discover who you are in the deph of your being
Mantras and mantrachanting can help to:
• overcome fear and shyness using your voice
• express your feelings, emotions
• enlarge your feeling of space in- and outside yourself
• make your voice more powerfull
• communicate better with other people
For musicians, yoga teachers, therapists, meditation teachers, spiritual teachers who want to integrate mantras in their work. But also for people who
want to sing mantras with a group.
For yoga teachers mantrachanting have these advantages:
• deepens the effects of asanas, pranayama and mudras;
• allows the expression of emotions and physical experiences via voice, allowing deeper relaxation to occur
• gives joy and a communal element to yoga classes.
Integrating mantras and sound in a therapeutic practice can add value to connect deeper with the body and emotions / feelings and thus support the therapeutic process. Also check out the sound therapy section.
CONTENT LESSONS IN BRUGES
Playing the harmonium
• bellow technique: controlling the sound dynamics
• fingering technique
• use of the registers
Chanting and singing in a powerfull yet relaxed and open manner
This way of chanting of course is an important prerequisite to sing mantras with people. We work on the following
• in the first place your breathing.
- shifting your breathing from high to pelvic breathing.
- 3 breathing techniques that best support your voice
• opening and using your resonance cavities
• listening techniques
• developping body/vocal cords awareness: discovering which parts of your body are directly activated with the chanting.
. Meditation and Mindfulness
• Learning to sing from a place of silence withing yourself
• Developping mindfulness to groupenergy.
Mantras, songs and chants from the Indian, Australian, North and South American, Buddhist, Aboriginal, African and Judeo-Christian traditions.
Some of the mantras:
• Hindu tradition: Ganesha, Shiva, Kali, Krishna, Rama, Sitaram, Hanuman, Gayatri Mantra, Mantra Soham ....
• Buddhist tradition: Om Mani Padma Hum, Mantra Medicine Buddha, Tara Mantra Gate Gate ...
• Christian and Jewish tradition Hallelujah, Kyrie Eleison, Donna Nobis Pacem, Shema Yisrael ...
• Sufi tradition: Illah Allah ...
• Seed Mantras (Bija)
. Empowering Mantras
You will learn the six main techniques to empower mantras. We use our breathing, concentration and expression faculties.
. Ways to chant mantras
In the training 3 ways are taught to play mantras:
Below, you can hear two examples of Soham Mantra: melodic and recitative.
. Background and meaning of mantras
What is the literal and interpreted meaning? Where do mantras come from? What stories come with it? With what intentions can you sing mantras? All these questions are answered.
The use of rhythm and percussion
There are very good percussion-apps available for your iPad, tablet, smartphone that you can use as an accompaniment while singing mantras. In this training you will learn to work with them.
Resonance and chakras
Mantras and sound naturally resonate in your body. In the classes we investigate the effect of the sounds in your body and chakras (energy centers). Some mantras resonate in specific chakras.
Free improvisation, especially during the kirtan is very beautiful and alive. The whole atmosphere in the choir deepens while improvising. During the training we learn some improvisation techniques.
INTERNET SUPPORT PROGRAM
At home you can practice with the help of the Internet support program.
You can play to learn the various mantras, both with your voice as with the harmonium:
• listen to the mantra with different voices and instruments
• learn the different voices by ear without musical notation
• learn the different voices with musical notation on your computer and / or iPad (with special application)
• learn the harmonium part from a video movie
• learn the harmonium part by musical notation on your computer and / or iPad (with special app)
• playing the mantra along with an audio recording of the mantra without harmonium and voices, but with rhythm, bass and piano.
• movie with an explanation and interpretation of the mantra and suggestions how to use intention to empower the mantra.
• PDF files with scores (musical notation), fingering, chord notation with all parts separate and together; explanation and interpretation.
MANTRA BACKGROUND OF THE TEACHER
Since 1994 Marc plays mantras with people. Together with members of the formerly Vrindavan band and then KiJay band, he was one of the first who introduced mantrachanting in the Netherlands. Well known are the National Mantra Days in Amsterdam and the big concerts at the Eigentijds Festival (see 2 videos herunder).
Since 1994 he gives concerts and courses mantra singing. See also the article in the
with Marc and the
The KiJay Mantra Band in 2009 at the Eigentijds Festival with Om Namah Shivaya (short version)
The KiJay Mantra Band in 2009 at the Eigentijds Festival with the Shanti Mantra (short version)
Obviously you need a harmonium for training. We sell both student as more professional harmoniums. Prices vary between € 600, - and € 1200, -. For € 600, - you have been a wonderful suitcase model harmonium.
to see the harmoniums.
IS MUSICAL EXPERIENCE REQUISITE?
Of course it is important to have a good sense of music and it is to your advantage if you have previous experience with music, mantras, singing or instrument, but this is not strictly necessary. You can start at the very beginning: with both your voice and your instrument. You do not need to learn musical notation, but if you want to, yo can! If you are unsure whether you are suitable for this training, it is advisable to take only one individual lesson here in Bruges or Skype session. During this session it will definitely become clear whether you have enough musicality in you to start the training.
Practising at home is essential to make progress. How many hours per week? That depends on your learning pace and your previous experience with music. During the first training day we will talk about this.
3 Saturdays in 2016: October 8, November 12 and December 10.
6 Saturdays in 2017: January 14, February 11, march 11, April 22, May 13 and June 10
From 10h - 17h
9 Saturdays and internet support program together cost € 995, - During the breaks on the Saturdays there are coffee, tea, snacks and soup during lunch break.
INTERESTED? WATCH A LESSON FROM THE INTERNET SUPPORT PROGRAM
I am interested in the yeartraining and want to receive a free lesson from the internet support program.
Send me an email to register: info (at) hetontdekkingshuis (dot) be